EcoSure: How to keep your pond clear of Algae, Scum and Weed
Many of us have ponds in our gardens and those that do will sometimes find that they can become filled with algal blooms, scum and weed. For a long time the most effective treatments were chemical which often harmed pond wildlife. There is a new and improved, environmentally friendly pond clearing treatment which has proven a success in commercial treatments of aquatic systems and now you can use it in your own pond.
EcoSure is not an algaecide, but rather a completely natural and ecologically harmless method of controlling pond scum and odours that commonly plague lakes and ponds. The program consists of simple, regular treatments during algae season. When using EcoSure, no applicator’s permits or licenses are necessary.
EcoSure is a special blend of naturally occurring bacteria and nutrients that removes the algae’s primary source of food, nitrogen, from the water. This drastic reduction in nitrogen concentrations makes it difficult for the algae to bloom. EcoSure works in the entire water column, as well as bottom sludge layers, to digest any organic wastes generated by fish, animals and plant life in the pond. EcoSure also contains cultures beneficial for enhancing turf quality and is therefore safe to use in irrigation ponds. The cultures are completely safe, and will not harm humans, plants, animals, birds or the environment.
So what are the benefits of using EcoSure?
- Removes existing algae and prevents new growth.
- Breaks down organic and fish waste in the water.
- Clarifies lake or pond water.
- Eliminates ammonia and organic odours.
- Enhances uptake of nutrients by grasses.
- Improves the aquatic environment for fish and wildlife.
- Reduces ammonia salts and other contaminants.
- Completely safe for humans, animals, fish and aquatic plant life.
That’s the gist of it but lets cover some commonly asked questions about EcoSure:
How does EcoSure work?
EcoSure is designed to treat the cause, not the effect, of pond maintenance problems. Excessive algae growth results from easily available food sources – normally excess nutrients in the water. EcoSure bacteria digest the excess nutrients before the algae, cutting off the algae’s food supply and controlling algae growth.
Will EcoSure harm turf?
No EcoSure actually enhances turf health in the following ways:
- The microbes used in EcoSure are natural soil and water bacteria that are an essential part of the mechanism for the efficient transport of nutrients from the soil into the turf roots.
- EcoSure also improves the water quality of irrigation ponds by breaking down ammonia salts and other contaminants before they reach the turf. Common sense indicates that better water contributes to better turf.
Is EcoSure safe for fish?
Yes. By removing ammonia and nitrite from the water, EcoSure enhances the aquatic environment for fish and other wildlife. EcoSure formula is used to enhance production in commercial fish, alligator and shrimp farms in Japan, Thailand, France, Canada and the United States.
How does EcoSure control odour?
The bacteria in EcoSure attack the cause of the pond odour, ammonia and slow decaying organic matter. By accelerating ad stabilizing the natural nitrogen conversion reactions, EcoSure greatly reduces or eliminates the release of ambient ammonia. Rapid digestion of accumulated organic matter eliminates foul odour.
How does EcoSure clarify water?
EcoSure reduces the algae population and digests floating and suspended organic matter that clouds the water column.
Will EcoSure clear a pond of existing algae?
Yes, however, EcoSure mode of action is to “starve” the algae by out-competing for a primary nutrient, nitrogen. Therefore, it is most effective when used as a preventive maintenance program, before algae start blooming.
What do I do if I have an existing algae problem?
EcoSure is designed to be a preventive maintenance product. It is therefore advisable to start with a clean pond surface. This can be accomplished in the following ways:
- Remove existing algae by harvesting. This provides the additional benefit of removing nitrogen and phosphorous bound in the algae.
- Treat the pond with BarleyStraw Extract and OxyPowder. Great in the short term, but has many drawbacks, if not use EcoSue in combination. Beneficial micro organisms in the water and in the bottom sludge will remove the algae died from BarleyStraw Extract. Best if used in combination. Wait 1 to 2 days after the addition of an BarleyStraw Extract. before using EcoSure.
- It is important to note that certain species of blue-green algae have adapted to fix nitrogen from the atmosphere. Although this species can survive in nitrogen-depleted environments, they are only a small portion of the total natural algae population. And even though not effective against these species, EcoSure will still cause a reduction in filamentous and other algae, digest organics ad reduce bottom sludge and odour.
Is EcoSure compatible with algaecides or pesticides?
No. Algaecides work well in the short term, but kill the natural bacteria in the pond that handle excess nutrient. As algaecides reduce the populations of beneficial bacteria, fewer nutrients are being digested and the potential for long-term algae problems increases.
How do algaecides cause long-term problems?
Nature regulates nutrient levels in ponds with bacteria similar to those found in EcoSure. Continual use of algaecides will kill these beneficial bacteria, and over time the pond will lose its ability to self-regulate nutrient levels. The result is an out-of-balance ecosystem whose nutrients will support a large algae population. This can be compared to the increase in turf thatch and disease caused by the use of pesticides and fungicides. As with algaecides, pesticides and fungicides also kill the bacteria that are essential to healthy turf, and their continual use may cause greater long-term turf problems.
Is EcoSure an algaecide?
No, EcoSure is not an algaecide. EcoSure is designed to digest the algae’s primary growth nutrient, nitrogen. It will not kill living macro-organisms. EcoSure will help to re-establish a healthy, balance aquatic ecosystem. EcoSure is non-toxic, non-corrosive, and all natural and will not harm animals, plants, birds, fish or humans.
What about aeration?
EcoSure bacteria utilize dissolved oxygen in their digestive processes. This utilization will not, however, affect the dissolved oxygen concentration in a well-aerated pond. Aeration will enhance the effectiveness of EcoSure, as well as benefit all aquatic life present in the pond. It is recommended that all ponds without adequate dissolved oxygen levels be aerated. By digestion of free organics, the bacteria in EcoSure dramatically reduce the BOD (Biochemical Oxygen Demand). In aquatic systems, this means that more of the dissolved oxygen is available to fish life, as less is required for the oxidation of organics. Thus, EcoSure will enhance even an unaerated or poorly aerated pond.
Will EcoSure work within the pond bottom and sludge layer?
Yes. EcoSure’s bacterial formulation was designed to supple the correct bacteria for the entire pond, including the sludge layer. The sludge layer can be the largest contributor of nutrients to the pond for two reasons:
- As organic matter (leaves, grass clippings, etc.) degrades on the pond bottom, nitrogen and phosphorus are realized to the water.
- The bacterial populations in the sludge layer can be damaged by applied algaecides and pesticides flushed into the pond during rainstorms. EcoSure will repopulate the sludge layer and accelerate the degradation process. This not only reduces the sludge layer volume but will also reduce the release of nutrients. It is important to note here that the copper used in algaecides and herbicides accumulates in bottom sludge causing an ever-increasing toxicity problem for natural micro organisms.
How is EcoSure used?
EcoSure is a pond management program, not a one time, quick-fix chemical addition. As such, it requires initial preparation and continued attention in order to provide optimum results. The initiation (heavy) dose is designed to rapidly populate the pond with EcoSure cultures.
What is the purpose of the maintenance dose?
Since EcoSure is designed to be a preventative maintenance product, the biweekly doses ensure that the levels of beneficial bacteria remain sufficient to handle nutrient inflows. One must also remember that water outflow, irrigation, leaching and inter-species competition with less desirable bacteria, reduces EcoSure’s bacteria numbers. The maintenance dose is applied every other week at the rate of 1 lb. Per acre-foot