Nemaslug Slug Killer Nematodes
Nemaslug Slug Killer is an extremely effective, natural pest control, which is very environmentally friendly and safe for children, pets and wildlife.
Most slug killers are applied to the surface of the soil, however slugs spend most of their time underground, coming up at night to feed. Sometimes they won't come up at all if they can feed on potatoes and newly planted seeds as they germinate. Nemaslug Slug Killer, works above and below the ground, offering maximum protection for your plants and seedlings.
- Use entire pack of Nemaslug at once - do not store part used packs or made up solution
- Nematodes are easy to apply simply as a drench. All you need is a watering can with a coarse rose or a recommended hose end feeder.
- Once mixed with water, apply immediately, making sure they are applied to the soil. Wash any nematodes off the leaves using more water.
Watering can method
- Open, take a portion of the pack and put in a watering can
- Add water and stir
- Water on soil/lawn and then water in with hose/watering can
Top tips to get the best from your Nemaslug Nematodes:
- Apply the nematode solution to moist soil.
- It is best to do this during your evening watering as the soil won't dry out so quickly, giving the nematodes time to go beneath the soil.
- When applying nematodes to grass or flowerbeds, water well afterwards so that the nematodes are washed into the soil.
- If you have to apply nematodes during the day (especially if hot) again make sure you water them in well so the soil doesn't dry out before they have gone beneath the soil.
- Plan to control slugs from early in the season when they are young and before they start to do the damage.
- See the advice on when it is best to apply each product to target the pest you want to get rid of. Remember that there can be an 8-week difference in the seasons between the north and south of the UK.
- Most garden chemicals (including fertilizers) can be used with nematodes. However, it is best to apply them at different times.
Nematodes are natural organisms, already present in our soil. They are not pests, but prey on garden pests giving us natural garden pest controls, that are environmentally friendly, safe for children, pets and wildlife.. All the nematodes in Nemaslug and the Nemasys range are naturally found in UK soil.
Nemaslug controls all common species of small to medium sized slugs (up to 8cm - 2.5-3 inches). Start your control regime early and you will be able to target the young slugs growing under the ground feeding on humus.
Nemaslug slug control uses the nematode Phasmarhabditis hermaphrodita, which was discovered by Scientists at the government research institute at Bristol, England. One application of Nemaslug provides 300,000 nematodes for every square metre of soil, giving at least six weeks control of slugs. This is generally enough time for seedlings and bedding plants to get well established.
Nemaslug nematodes are easy to apply and does not leave any unsightly residues. The majority of the slugs will die underground, so don't expect to see dead slugs lying around.
Apply the nematodes to moist soil. The soil temperature should be 5ºC (40ºF) or over (this is when plants start to grow). Nematodes are capable of surviving the odd frost; so don't worry if the temperature falls after you have applied Nemaslug. Metaldehyde based slug pellets are reported not to be effective below 7ºC.
Potatoes are susceptible to slug attack later in the season than most other plants. So you can delay applying Nemaslug till 6-7 weeks before harvest, when the tubers are most likely to be eaten by slugs. Unlike some controls, Nemaslug continues to work well during wet weather - exactly when you need protection against slugs!
Nemaslug might affect water snails. To avoid harming them keep the treatment 15 cm (6") away from ponds.
If you have a heavy clay area, ensure you apply Nemaslug to well worked soil. Nemaslug is less effective on cloggy clay soil, which has not been worked and/or has become waterlogged. Nemaslug comes in pack sizes to treat 40 sq.m (50 sq.yds) and 100 sq.m (125 sq.yds).
When you receive your pack, place it in the refrigerator immediately and use within the use by date (which can be up to four weeks).